Monday, October 19, 2015

Driving Across the Country, landing in Utah

October 19, 2015
Written at Deer Creek State Park, Utah (near Provo, UT)

It took us a week or so of driving to get here. We followed I-69 and I-94 through Michigan and Indiana, then I-80 West through Iowa, Nebraska, and Wyoming. Lots of driving listening to NPR live, and NPR's This American Life podcasts (thanks Levi), as well as a few Cardinals games. However, the Cubs eliminated the Cardinals from the playoffs, so we were left with plenty of 'praise the Lord' stations, (Leah wonders why, no matter how isolated the road, PTL always comes in....is it divine intervention?) and NPR when we could find it, which was not often enough. High wind warnings forced us to stay at the Cheyenne, Wyoming Walmart for an extra day, so we had some down time to explore the city.

As always, click on any image to see it larger and in greater detail
All the government buildings have these giant cowboy boots in front--kind of like the moose in Toronto


We drove for an hour and stopped for breakfast at Prairie Rose Diner in Laramie, Wyoming. Really good. Leah visited New ToYou, a consignment store, while I explored the town a bit. I was drawn to an old movie theater that was being renovated.

The Wild Theater

I complimented the renovator...and he invited me in for a tour! He showed me the partially renovated lobby and explained that a theater company would be housed there, but it would also be used as a movie house. He took me into the auditorium, itself, but it was pitch black. He searched for the light control, but unfortunately, it didn't work--so I never saw the movie screen and seats! I was disappointed, but set the D750's ISO for 12,800 and took a shot anyway.


Above is the result. I couldn't see a thing beyond my feet but the camera captured this without a flash!

Leah was still at the consignment store, so I dumped and filled the trailer, then wandered around the downtown.

Laramie, Wyoming downtown
Near the railroad tracks, I spotted at an old railway station, now a museum, since Amtrak no longer stops here. No one was there so I walked in. It was empty and smelled of old wood, oil, and maybe leather...and the big clock was ticking loudly, echoing off the walls.



It felt like it had been a bustling station--and then everyone left all at once. It was built in 1928 and it looked it. Everything evoked a different era: the seats were broad, the ceiling vaulted, the doors tall and wide, with door knobs above waist height. The bathroom was no different:


Really a cool place.

We hit the road again in the afternoon, and drove across the rest of Wyoming, stopping for the night at Rock Springs. Next day we made it to our current campsite at Deer Creek State Park, outside Provo, Utah. After something like a week of all-day driving, we were ready to call one place home for a while.

View from Deer Creek State Park, Utah, site 26

Site 26, Deer Creek State Park, Utah

Rainbow at site 26, Deer Creek State Park, Utah
Went for a hike across the bay from our campsite:




Next day, I wandered around downtown Provo, which is quite a nice place. Last time we were here, the Mormons were financing the construction of a downtown Provo government complex. It was interesting to see that it is now complete. The Mormons must have a lot of money.

Provo, Utah city government complex.
You can't see it in the photo, but just to the right of the new government buildings is a beautiful old church that the Mormons renovated.


And it's not surprising that the old church is reflected in the sleek glass and steel city government
building next door.




No church in the reflection, but some of the rest of the complex is visible, if distorted. No wide angle lens.


Although Provo appears to be an affluent town, there are less fortunate folks:

Fairly well dressed...and dancing away to the tunes on his headphones. Not asking for money, just dancing--apparently without a care. Note the spinners mounted high on the shopping cart
As I crossed the street, an interesting-looking old hippie guy who was crossing with me said, "You mind if I ask you a question?" "Not at all", I replied. "Who was St. Christopher? I know he was the patron saint of something." I confessed I didn't know, but consulted my personal assistant: "Ok Google. Who was St. Christopher?" Google Voice: "According to Wikipedia, St. Christopher was the patron saint of travellers." "Oh", he said. "Good! And by the way, thanks." I think he meant me, but it was hard to tell.


Then he walked away.

Met Leah for lunch at Black Sheep. Quite good food!




Strolling around after lunch, we were caught at '....





Closer

2 comments:

  1. Thoroughly enjoying wandering around with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're liking it, Rick and Lou!

      Merry Christmas to you both.

      Delete